Thursday, August 7, 2008

The ride has begun

I decided to start a blog about our adoption process here. Darrin and I have been blessed in that we have Daniel who is nearly 10 years old now! Wow where did the time go? He is a very sweet and smart boy. We are so grateful the Lord blessed us with him. That being said we have been trying for eight years to add to our little family of three.
We have been through some ups and downs and have been waiting for the right time to take action into the world of adoption. Recently I prayed for some direction in this pursuit and whether that was the Lord's will for us. It had been a year or so since I had really prayed about it. I had felt earlier on that the Lord had given me a "not right now" answer. Now I felt inclined to ask again.
I had only been praying about it for a couple of weeks when a friend and neighbor of ours gave us a call. She asked if we were still hoping to adopt and I said told her yes. She then told us about a young woman she was working with who had confided in her that she was pregnant and wished to place her baby with a loving family. Our friend went on to tell her about us and she agreed to meet with us.
We met for lunch the following saturday. She was very up front about a few issues that she had been dealing with and wanted to be sure we understood them before we committed to anything. We discussed several things and expected that she would let us know after a while whether she felt good about us to adopt her baby. She did not make us wait. She let us know that she liked us and felt good about us adopting her child.
We have been getting to know her little by little as we have helped her to get to several of her appointments and such. (She doesn't have a car of her own). Throughout this process we have come to care about the baby and also about her and both of their welfare. She has been dealing with alot of consequences of alot of not so good choices. I think her whole world has kind of crumbled out from under her this past year. It is hard to balance the urge to take care of her and the knowledge that she needs to do things on her own too.
We hope to be a sense of support and love but are a bit guarded for obvious reasons as well. Part of me would love to shout from the rooftops that we are having a baby. A very LARGE part! But we are trying to stay grounded as well and take it a day at a time. I know in my heart and soul that the Lord loves us, is aware of us, and if it is His will He will see to it that our baby makes it to our family.

No comments: